You might be a brilliant player of blackjack, also known as twenty-one, but perhaps there are still a couple of facts that you do not know about the game. See a bunch of blackjack trivia below, some of them may be surprising.
2. Blackjack arrived in the United States only after the French Revolution and gambling houses offered bonus payouts to spur players’ interest. However, blackjack was banned in the USA at the beginning of the 19th century until 1939 when Nevada removed the ban by establishing Las Vegas.
3. One of the most obsessed player of blackjack was Napoleon and he did not give up his passion even after his exile.
4. Blackjack has inspired some other casino games. Spanish 21 and pontoon have grown out from the same root as blackjack. Nowadays, there are still many variants of the game: 21st-Century Blackjack (Vegas Style Blackjack), Double Exposure Blackjack, Double Attack Blackjack and Blackjack Switch, just to mention the most famous ones.
5. The first blackjack tournament was held in 1978 in the Sahara Casino in Las Vegas. Nowadays, there are daily blackjack tournaments at online casinos.
6. Blackjack experts, authors, players and professional players who contributed to the game significantly have been immortalized in the Blackjack Hall of Fame since 2002 at the Barona Casino San Diego, California.
7. A deck of blackjack cards symbolizes the calendar. There are 52 cards in the deck just like there are 52 weeks a year. The four suits in a deck represent the fours seasons in a year. The 12 picture cards are identified by the 12 months and the 13 lunar cycles of the year are referred to by the 13 cards in each suit.
8. While playing blackjack or any other game anybody can be a ‘George’ in a casino. If a player is a great tipper, then he gets the nickname George which should be considered a compliment. It is not important to be a big money player, only tipping is important.
9. There can be “peekers” or “peepers” at the blackjack tables. These are special blackjack tables with a little mirror used by the dealer to check the “hole card” (a card dealt face-down and the holder is not obliged to reveal) for a blackjack.
10. Some terms of blackjack have been taken from America’s pastime of baseball. At the blackjack table the first position to the left of the dealer is called the “base” and the player who is to act before the dealer is called the “third base”.